Saturday, September 13, 2008

News from Spring Branch

We are having way too much excitement around here, and it has
nothing to do with Ike.

I went out just before sunrise to open up the hen house and got
the shock of my life. As I opened the hatch/ramp, I heard the
awesome, heart-stopping sound of a rattlesnake. It was just light enough
to see that the snake was about 10 inches from my hand.

I froze. That's what one does.

Once I could see that the snake was moving away from me, I flew
(no, really, feet didn't touch the ground) back to the house, pounded
on the master bedroom door, and shouted, "Chuck, there's a rattlesnake
out here!"

Rude awakening.

By the time we got back out there with a hoe, the snake, all 5-6
feet of it, was moving slowly toward the back of the hen house. Chuck
tried to hit it with the hoe, but missed, and the snake picked up the
pace and secreted itself under some piles of fencing near the back.

He's in now putting on some boots, ready to go flush it out.
Yikes. It's funny how complacent we get. Eight years without a trace of
a venomous snake, and we forget how dangerous nature can be.

Time to get a guinea hen.

Hope you are all well and safe.

Love from Spring Branch,

Robin

No comments: