Wednesday, January 14, 2009

September 14, 2004

Hi all,

Well, it has begun for me. Last night I went to the first class in my Brit Lit course. Initially, I signed up for a course on Shakespeare, but the prof. and the focus changed over the summer. As it turns out, the class is on 19th century Brit Lit. More specifically, we are focused on London, sex and anxiety through the eyes of Victorian era writers. I'm psyched. The prof is enthusiastic, capable and communicative. We are reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Great Expectations, Dracula and several poems, essays, interviews, and newspaper articles (such as those covering the White Chapel Murders) as well as taking field trips around London to explore some of the places about which we are reading. Oh, if only all my classes were lit classes!


Today is homework day. This week it includes a trip back to the London Museum to complete a module on science, reading ahead in culture; lit, and writing a short, descriptive piece for creative writing. I'd like to also fit in a trip to a local church where there is scheduled a talk on social and political justice and micro loans to women in third-world countries.


More soon.

Love from London,

Robin

No comments: